Most of you will be familiar with the drill for a traditional, on site, suited and booted, face to face interview. There are are rules to be followed; you turn up smart, answer the questions well and you walk a pretty narrow line.
Employers know that your guard is up during these formal interviews which is why you’ll find that some employers will also have an informal lunch/dinner interview, so they can observe you in a relaxed setting and see who the person behind the mask is. In fact, studies, such as this one from the Kellogg Business School show that that many employers value personality and culture fit as much as technical fit.
So, having a lunch interview doesn’t mean you are home and hosed and you still need to bring your A-Game to make sure you land the job. And there are several pointers to help you ace your lunch interview.
Mirror their dress. Observe the employer’s dress code during formal interviews and try and closely mirror their dress code and lunch interview so you look like an employee. It will help to build rapport.
Research your interviewer’s in advance to understand their management and working philosophies, preferred methods and techniques, hobbies and interests so you have plenty of conversational points.
Show that you are one of them. At appropriate opportunities, highlight the similarities you share with the employer in terms of management style, systems design, working style, interests etc… so they can visualize you fitting in. Mirror their body language.
Avoid alcohol or at least severely limit it. As a rule it is best to avoid alcohol and stick with coffee or tea. In a dinner setting, you might have a glass of wine with the meal if this will help build a sense of camaraderie.
Good luck at your lunch interview; you’ll probably never look at them the same way again!
E-BOOK: 9 Essential Steps to Prepare For Interview £4.99. MS Word. (Money back guarantee)
- Optimizes Interview Performance, by enabling you to both pre-empt and prepare for questions that you are likely to be asked.
- Money Back Guarantee. If you are not satisfied, email Kazim on:email@example.com, within 7 days of purchase, explaining why you are unhappy, and I will refund your money, no quibbles. This is risk free.
- Great value for money. For the price of a round of beer, you could secure an interview potentially thousands of pounds a year.
- Download straight after purchase. You’ll be automatically directed to the download page after purchase. No delays. It’s instant.
- Secure Payments With PayPal, using a credit card or PayPal account.
To download/purchase the Interview Preparation Guide, please click this link or click on the product screenshot below. You will be directed to a page straight after purchase from which you can download the appraisal form.
- Establishing the vital statistics & critical information about the potential employer.
- Establishing absolute clarity on the key elements of the role.
- Establishing the essential skill requirements of the applicant.
- Introducing Structured Interviewing and Behavioural Questioning
- Establishing some of the likely interview questions based on the role requirements.
- Establishing the likely interview questions based on the standard core competencies.
- Establishing questions for you to ask at interview
- Prepare for Aptitude Tests by Practising Them.