Manage Your Next Staff Rota Efficiently and Easily with This Downloadable, Staff Rota, Smart Excel Template
This download-ready Smart Excel Staff Rota will suit a smaller company of perhaps 20 or less employees who might not need software. It’s contains macros and time-saving features and it’s easy to use, visually attractive and much more affordable than a subscription software based alternative. It’s perfect to use in a restaurant, pub, club or the workplace and will enable uou to manage your staff rotas more efficiently. It also calculates pay and allows you to specify working location. You can start managing shifts in no-time.
- Calculates weekly pay
- Clever entry form for rapid setting up off shifts
- Time saving excel macros that automate and reduce manual labour
- Simple Design and Easy Data Entry
- Enables you to add split shifts and breaks quickly
- Able to include working location
- Clear schedule that can be printed easily
- Will save you time both entering data and managing rota
- This is a more affordable alternative to expensive specialist rota software
- All within Microsoft Excel.
As soon as you have downloaded your smart excel template you can get started with your shift management. Save a spare copy of the file, just in case you make a mistake in your working file. After the file is opened you will need to “Enable Editing” and “Enable Content” in order to make changes and allow totals to calculate.
There is a sheet titled, “about” which tells you how to use the document.
Entering Staff and Shifts
The Staff Rota Manager has two main screens:
1.The Employee Management Screen (left image) and,
2.The Shift Management Screen, (right image).
The employee management screen is used when the user starts a new shift rotation for the week. WARNING: this will empty the cells currently in the shift rotation table. The shift management screen is used when the user wants to edit the data currently in the sheet.
Step 1: Select which screen manager to use. Note: the Employee Manager will automatically initiate the Shift Manager when employee management is complete.
Employee Manager Screen:
The list on the left is based on the data in the workbook when it opens. Use the “>>” button to bring employees into this week’s employee list. Add employees using the text boxes and the “Add” button. Make sure to enter in the date for the week in the text box at the bottom left. Then select the Finalize button.
Shift Manager Screen:
The list on the left comes from this week’s employees list. Fill in the form based on the following definitions to set shifts:
- Shift Start: Start of this employee’s shift
- Shift End: End of this employee’s shift
- Shift Location: Location in restaurant where this employee’s shift will occur.
(Note: if a different location is desired than is on the list in the drop down, simply type in a new value in the drop down list. It will be applied accordingly.)
- Break (checkbox): Identify whether a break is assigned to this employee
- Break (drop down): If checked, identify length of the break
- Split Shift (checkbox): Identify whether this employee has a split shift during the work day.
- Select which employees this shift applies to.
- Select which days of the week this shift applies to.
- Select Apply button to input shift. Note: if there is a shift already in that slot, the program will ask whether to override or keep the shift.
Simplicity: The Staff Rota Manager is easy to use. I am not a techie and picked it up quickly without reading the instructions, but instructions are there nonetheless. This a low cost and efficient way to run your rotas for up to about 20/30 employees.
Value for money:
- It would cost about £100 to have a VBA developer design this for you business making it very good value.
- For small businesses with about up to about 30 employees, StaffTRAK Time is the cost effective option, saving you £195 a year from the typical, cloud-based timesheet software option.