Employee Appraisals are a vital part of a small business’s HR Strategy. The best way to manage, motivate, direct and engage staff is through employee appraisals. And, it doesn’t have to be hard to implement. Of course, if you want you can hire a HR professional to handle your employee appraisals.
But there are plenty of free off the shelf appraisal packages which enable you to take the more economical, DIY path to employee appraisals if that is your wish – and I have outlined 4 free, employee appraisal software packages below:
1.Zoho People. This is a full HR system, which includes an appraisal module. We have included it here as its a great one stop shop application, meaning you can do all your HR in one place. If you need more sophisticated appraisals, try combining it with one of the more specialist appraisal systems below. Prices start at $190 a year for 10 employee logins, which works out at about £1 a month per employee, so excellent value.
2. RedSpot HR. This is another full service HR software system which contains a dedicated performance appraisal module. So, really this is a performance appraisal system with a free HR database alongside it, which you can take or leave. What is especially nice about this system is that you can add to the staff record throughout the review period, and then you have an accurate record of each staff member’s performance and progress. It’s very affordable at £1 a month, per employee and comes with a 30 day, no credit card required free trial.
3.PeopleHR.com. This is a user-friendly HR software tool with a powerful, performance appraisal module, called, Perform. It has all the functionality of a standalone performance appraisal system and comes with the added benefit of having a free HR software system attached to it. Bargain! It includes templates and pre-built/customizable questions, so you can commence appraisals immediately. It also has an excellent work-flow management process, so you can complete your appraisal program with consumate ease. Prices start at £2.50 per employee per month, so great value for money, given what you get in return.
4.AssessTEAM. This is a must-have, next generation, online employee evaluation software tool. It comes with cutting edge features, such as: 360 degree appraisals, employee profitability analysis and reporting, continuous feedback style assessment, (that is proven to boost staff engagement and effectiveness), mobile integration and the system is fully scalable thanks to a highly automated, clever but simple deployment. Prices start at £1 per employee per month, for excellent functionality, moving to £2/3 per person for month for the bells and whistles. Great value and worth a try.
If you are reading these reviews and thinking that your firm is not quite large enough to justify using software, you might want to make use of my simple, more cost effective word and excel based appraisal systems, which I have listed below.
- Word Based, Quarterly Appraisal Form – Helps you conduct a high speed, 30 minute, performance check-in, once a quarter.
- Performance Management Kit – Contains a word and excel based quarterly appraisal form, plus a bonus scheme, appraisal guide and probationary period management form
5.Reviewsnap. This a user-friendly, affordable and feature rich online performance management system. It has four modules: performance appraisal, 360 degree feedback, plus an extended compensation dashboard and a training module. They have 1,200 customers. Due to the pricing model, this is only cost effective for employers with 50 or more employees. This is not suitable for startups.
6.Small Improvements. This free and affordable online performance management system is used by start-ups such as Atlassian, Quiksilver and Pinterest. It’s on-line and completely free for up to 10 users. It includes a performance review section, 360 degree feedback module, goals and objectives and a continuous feedback module. There are loads of testimonials from satisfied clients so looks like a tried and trusted affordable employee appraisal system for small business.
- 6 Free or Affordable HR Software Systems for Small Business
- 5 Free or Affordable Recruiting Software Systems for Small Firms