Employee Appraisals are a vital part of a small business’s HR Strategy. The best way to manage, motivate, direct and engage staff is through employee appraisals. And, it doesn’t have to be hard to implement. Of course, if you want you can hire a HR professional to handle your employee appraisals.
But there are plenty of free off the shelf appraisal packages which enable you to take the more economical, DIY path to employee appraisals if that is your wish – and I have outlined 4 free, employee appraisal software packages below:
1.Zoho People. This is a full HR system, which includes an appraisal module. We have included it here as its a great one stop shop application, meaning you can do all your HR in one place. If you need more sophisticated appraisals, try combining it with one of the more specialist appraisal systems below. Prices start at $190 a year for 10 employee logins, which works out at about £1 a month per employee, so excellent value.
3. StaffTRAK HR Database and Dashboard This is an innovative and affordable Excel Based HR system with a built in performance management section designed for small companies with up to around 20 to 30 staff who don’t want the hassle and expense of subscription software. This smart Excel HR performance template enables you to operate a quarterly appraisal system with your staff so you can have continuous feedback in your business. Click here to find out more.
3.PeopleHR.com. This is a user-friendly HR software tool with a powerful, performance appraisal module, called, Perform. It has all the functionality of a standalone performance appraisal system and comes with the added benefit of having a free HR software system attached to it. Bargain! It includes templates and pre-built/customizable questions, so you can commence appraisals immediately. It also has an excellent work-flow management process, so you can complete your appraisal program with consumate ease. Prices start at £2.50 per employee per month, so great value for money, given what you get in return.
4.AssessTEAM. This is a must-have, next generation, online employee evaluation software tool. It comes with cutting edge features, such as: 360 degree appraisals, employee profitability analysis and reporting, continuous feedback style assessment, (that is proven to boost staff engagement and effectiveness), mobile integration and the system is fully scalable thanks to a highly automated, clever but simple deployment. Prices start at £1 per employee per month, for excellent functionality, moving to £2/3 per person for month for the bells and whistles. Great value and worth a try.
5. If you are reading these reviews and thinking that your firm is not quite large enough to justify using software, you might want to make use of my simple, more cost effective word and excel based appraisal systems, which I have listed below.
- StaffTRAK Performance – This is 5 piece performance management kit for small business which contains a word and excel based quarterly appraisal form, plus a bonus scheme, appraisal guide and probationary period management form
- StaffTRAK Performance Appraisal is a word Based, Quarterly Appraisal Form. It helps you conduct a high speed, 30 minute, performance check-in, once a quarter.
6.Small Improvements. This free and affordable online performance management system is used by start-ups such as Atlassian, Quiksilver and Pinterest. It’s on-line and completely free for up to 10 users. It includes a performance review section, 360 degree feedback module, goals and objectives and a continuous feedback module. There are loads of testimonials from satisfied clients so looks like a tried and trusted affordable employee appraisal system for small business.
- 6 Free or Affordable HR Software Systems for Small Business
- 5 Free or Affordable Recruiting Software Systems for Small Firms