Last updated on April 12th, 2016 at 04:16 pm
In the age of the internet and social media, cold calling is an old but not dying art. While there is no doubt that Twitter, Linked-In, Email and YouTube are great ways to win new business, cold calling can if used effectively be one of the most direct ways to make a client connection. Being able to cold call is not just useful to small businesses but it can be of use to job seekers too as research shows that a high percentage of jobs are not filled through jobs board but through the secret job market which includes word of mouth and jobs uncovered by cold calling. So, whether you are a small business leader or ambitious professional, cold calling can help you reach your goals.
So if you are interested in cold calling you might be interested in the findings of these studies which show the best day of the week to cold call and the best times of day to cold call for maximum effect.
According to a study by Dr. James Oldroyd from the Kellog School of Management who analysed the electronic logs of over 1 million cold sales calls, performed by thousands of sales professionals from a range of companies the best times to cold call in order maximise success, or more specifically to qualify a lead were:
- Thursdays were the best days to cold call if you want to contact somebody
- Tuesday and Wednesday ranked second and third respectively.
- Thursday was 20% better than Friday which was the worst day.
Thursdays are thought to be the best day because potential contacts are more open to talking and easier to reach as the week is winding down and they are therefore more open and relaxed.
- 4pm to 6pm are the best times to call to contact a lead (114% over the worst time, which is straight after lunch)
- 8-9am and 4-5pm are the best times to call to qualify a lead, or set an appointment with a lead (164% better than 1-2pm, the worst time.)
Good luck with your next cold call.